iPod Touch 4G Review: Price, Specs, Features and Apps
iPod Touch 4G, best known under the name of iTouch is elegant and amazing gadget from Apple. With being portable media player, iPod Touch works best as an assistant personal digital and Wi-Fi mobile platform. With multi-touch graphical User interface, iPod adds same gem for its beauty. You can access iTune store with your iPod wireless. For the moment, millions of iPod have been sold. Here, we have given of the iPod Touch price & specification that will help buyers to make the decision.
• 3.5-inch (diagonal) widescreen Multi-Touch display
• 960×640-pixel resolution at 326 pixels per inch
Graphics look incredible on 960×640 Retina Display. Which means games are even more impressive on the highest-resolution iPod Touch screen even made.
• Apple A4 Processor
The A4 chip – the same technology as of iPas and iPhone 4 helps giving a gaming experience like no other. It also makes iPod Touch more powerful and more power efficient.
• Three-axis gyro
• Ambient light sensor
The new, built-in, 3-axis gyroscope on iPod Touch gives you fantastic pitch, roll and yaw. Rotation around gravity and extremely precise position information.
• 8GB, 32GB or 64GB flash drive
• Height: 4.4 inches (111.0 mm)
• Width: 2.3 inches (58.9 mm)
• Depth: 0.28 inch (7.2 mm)
• Weight: 3.56 ounces (101 grams)
• 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi (802.11n 2.4GHz only)
• Bluetooth® 2.1 + EDR
• Maps-location based service
• Nike + iPod support built in
Cameras, photos, and video
• Video recording, HD (720p) up to 30 frames per second with audio
• still photos (960 x 720) with back camera 0.7MP
• VGA-quality photos and video up to 30 frames per second with the front camera
• Tap to control exposure for video or stills
• Photo and video geo tagging over Wi-Fi
Battery and power
• Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery
• Playback time
• Music playback time: Up to 40 hours when fully charged
• Video playback time: Up to 7 hours when fully charged
• Charging times: Fast charge in 2hrs (80% capacity), full charge in 4hrs.
• Frequency response: 20Hz to 20,000Hz
• Audio formats supported: AAC (8 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), HE-AAC, MP3 (8 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, 4, Audible Enhanced Audio, AAX, and AAX+), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV
• User-configurable maximum volume limit
TV and video
• H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
• MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
• Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format
• Support for 1024 by 768 pixels with Dock Connector to VGA Adapter; 576p and 480p with Apple Component AV Cable; 576i and 480i with Apple Composite AV Cable (cables sold separately)
Input and output
• 30-pin dock connector
• 3.5-mm stereo headphone minijack
• Built-in speaker
iPod Touch 4G Design
The new iPod Touch 4G is more curvy and less thinner than its predecessor. It is now a mere 7.2 millimeters thin and features a engineered glass front and stainless steel back that feels sleek and smooth in your hand. The display has been revamped to the iPhone 4 like Retina display consisting of a 960-by-640 backlit LCD. It packs 326 pixels per inch, making it the highest-resolution iPod screen ever.
It is powered by Apple's own A4 chip set and also has a built-in three-axis gyroscope. The gyroscope when coupled with the accelerometer, makes the iPod touch 4G capable of advanced motion sensing such as user acceleration, full 3D attitude, and rotation rate.
2 Cameras on the iPod Touch 4G
Apple has included not one but 2 cameras: a HD 720p video recordable rear facing camera and a front-facing camera for making FaceTime video calls over Wi-Fi to other iPod Touch 4Gs and iPhones. The front camera can also be used to shoot self-portraits. You can record video in low-light settings, thanks to the advanced backside illumination sensor.
With the 2 new cameras you can Make eye-catching HD movies anywhere with iMovie, the fun, feature-rich video editing app that's designed for the new iPod touch. You tap to add or record video to your project. Drag to trim the length of clips, and swipe to split them. Pinch to zoom the timeline and get a closer look. It's a completely natural way to make a movie.
iPod Touch 4G Game Center
Apple has introduced a new app called the Game Center that allows you to get on to or create a gaming network with your friends. You can invite friends to join and totally dominate them. You can also look at how your score ranks against your friends and other players of each game. You can compare game achievements with your friends.
Comparing it to the iPhone is more complicated, and ultimately, your choice will depend on what you want to use the device for.
Remember that just because the iPod touch can't connect to mobile networks itself doesn't mean it can't be used as a phone or to browse the web when you're not within range of your Wi-Fi network.
As well as FaceTime, apps such as Skype enable you to make and receive calls, and if you're prepared to carry round a MiFi dongle (which turns a 3G signal into a Wi-Fi network), then you're no longer tied to fixed Wi-Fi.
Certainly for occasional use, an iPod touch and a PAYG MiFi is far cheaper than buying the bottom-end iPhone 4 on PAYG.
So comparing the touch to the other products in Apple's range, it offers remarkably good value for the incredible set of features you get with it.
But taking a step back, £189 is a lot of money to stump up for anything, let alone £329, however good its feature-set may be. It would have been nice to see the 8GB model come in below the £150 mark, and the 64GB version dropped to under that £300 hurdle.
iPod Touch 4G Review: Price, Specs, Features and Apps Reviewed by Adnan Malik on 11:10 AM Rating: